Wooloowin has always been a sprawling suburban area encompassing 1.1km in radius and the local area of Kalinga, the home of Judge Lutwyche, first judge of the Supreme Court in QLD.

The name “Wooloowin” is thought to be derived from a local aboriginal dialect for “pigeon”, “running water” or “fish”. “Kalinga” was named by early German missionaries after a stream in the middle east.

The main subdivision of rural holdings (pineapple, banana, and mango farms) occured in the 1880s as public transport became much improved – particularly the extension of the northern railway to Wooloowin in 1882. Development of tramways in the 1890 also caused further settlement and schools inevitably followed with the first High School – Kedron H. School established in 1956.

In 1885, an act of Parliament set a minimum size block in Brisbane at 16 perches (405m^2), and roads & lanes were also given minimum dimensions. This explains the very different look that Brisbane has to some of the State Capitals in Southern Australia. Detached houses & large blocks reduced the hazard of fire & diseases caused by overcrowding, especially when wood was used as the main building material in the late 19th century.

This has given Wooloowin its character, which can be seen in the remaining colonial & federation style houses. Since the 1970s increasing numbers of flats and home units have also been built, catering for about 6000 people of diverse age and background, who enjoy the convenience of Wooloowin’s location, proximity to the city and to local sporting, shopping, educational, hospital and social facilities.

Mornington House here at 45 Lisson Grove was built as a “town house” in 1888, and was used by a member of the Upper House, a Mr Frederick Lord as a town residence, whilst attending parliament in the 1890s. The style is colonial, incorporating wide verandahs with iron lace railings, large sash windows and high stumps to facilitate ventilation. The verandahs originally surrounded all four sides of the house, but for the kitchen area, and stables were along the back fence.